Wednesday, December 13, 2006

CBC Killed the YouTube Star


Hey!

So I was like, pissing my undies when I was walking up to the CBC Radio tower in downtown Montreal on the morning of December 2nd, A) because it was my first time on national radio, and 2), because I stutter like a skipping record, on a GOOD day.

You know what relaxed me? Watching the New Littlest Hobo stunt dog perform tricks in the lobby. Cardiac arrest. Wounded paw. That dog should be nominated for an Oscar. I figured if I froze on the air, I could always play dead, that that sort of thing was actually being encouraged at the CBC.

CLICK HERE to listen for yourself, as I aired my sordid past to whoever was awake at 7 a.m., and as Jeanette Kelly put me through her gentle wringer.

Here are some listener comments:

"Got up at 7h00 yesterday morning to listen to your interview on CBC FM. I was so, so glad that I heard it. You were amazing! The way you talked about your life and this poignant juxtaposition of religion and sexuality worked as a fascinating invitation to read your book. I couldn't help but be reminded of the James Baldwin novella, Giovanni's Room. People close to him said that he wrote a gay novel so early in his career, so that no one could ever hold it over him. He got it out in the open and that was that. Courage in art is a theme that draws people like a magnet. You've got it!!!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope this entry goes through (the first one seems to be lost in cyberspace). Thanks for posting the CBC interview. As I mentioned, I missed the original airing due to sleep deprivation. Somebody (cough, Erin, cough) told me that Dave Bronstetter had conducted the interview. I looked on his website and found no evidence of the interview. In response, I wrote him an angry email claiming that I had listened to his interview with you and it was an outrage that your brilliance wasn't archived on his site. Now I realize, Bronstetter must have been quite confused upon receiving my letter. Well, I tried. And now, at last, I can listen to the interview. Thanks for posting it.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home